Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

It's a Suite Time!


Hello again;  ya it's been awhile.....
Where have I been for the last few months?   Well, lots of happenin's.  For starters , my precious daughter got engaged in January.   We're so excited because we love our future son-in-law.  So, it's all good.  But when they announced their engagement, they also said they wanted to be married at our farm, in June.  We were thrilled, honored, ecstatic!!  Fast forward to a few weeks later and well, I was slightly panicked that we were having a major event at our house, in how many months!?   The interior of the farm still needed work and the exterior was a whole different story.  The exterior had never been really worked on much and so all of a sudden we're in major upheavel getting everything in tip top shape.  Now, if money were no object, we'd have crews here each and everyday!
We do have some great yard guys helping us, but we have 5 acres and that's alot of work.    So, my husband has been on a tractor alot.  (he'll complain from time to time, but I think he actually enjoys working with a tractor.  Boys and their toys right?)
The Bride To Be and Groom To Be requested an outdoor ceremony and reception.   No prob right?  Well, we have this "barn" that we've always wanted to make cuter and well, it's finally getting a  makeover.  You wouldn't have believed all the farm implements, old remodel building materials, old giveaway stuff, junk, paint cans, etc that we had to clean out of the barn.   It was just stored back there in a mess,  I mean it was ugly!!  
Still have a few "things" in the barn, but eventually it will all be nice decorated tables , curtains and pretty lights you'll see.  The  barn is being turned into a rustic glam reception area with off white billowy curtains and loads of party lights, chandeliers &  Christmas lights.
The custom curtains will actually be made from dropcloths I bought off Amazon. 
 My seamstress priced around, I priced around and honestly the cheapest way to drape this HUGE barn was to buy a ton of dropcloths and make the curtains from them.  The barn measures 40' x 60' so we had to be creative on a budget.   Curtains will cover those lovely rainwater collection tanks .  They'll also encompass the whole barn and have tied back panels where the entrance will be.   There will also be swags of the dropcloths up in the ceiling with the twinkling lights around them.
   
The theme is rustic glam.  My daughter said she didn't want to do the overdone burlap and mason jar barn look.  (although I still like it, but hey I'm now the MOB, so I have to let them design what they want)  We've collaborated alot and so we'll have a teensy burlap but probably not the mason jars.  We're mainly using a mix of mercury glass vases and candles with glam golds:

 Picture frames in silvers, golds and whites:

And her color scheme is pretty much wrapped up in this lil vignette of hair ties:
Lots of blush pinks, champagnes, whites, off whites, silver and gold.
Everyday from their first announcement til now is a series of phone calls, emails, research on the computer or gathering/decorating something. Planning a wedding is a full time job, but having it at your house is a whole other ballgame.  As my hubby and I say "we're creating a venue, not just fixing up the house",   I had no idea the work it really would involve!  Even though I've been stressed, I'm
still very happy the event will take place at our home.
At first, the backdrop of the wedding ceremony was going to be this garden shed.  Now, for lighting and just comfort , we've moved the backdrop to be under oak trees.
White guest chairs will face this backdrop with isles of galvanized buckets and baby's breath.  The wedding chairs along the aisles will have pink sashes.  The trees will be decorated with natural branches and swags of ivy and flowers flanking white pulled back curtains.

The backyard will host the cocktail reception and also a dinner reception.  Here's a pic from last year when Luke was filling the rock pathway in the backyard.  We've been using this path but knew we eventually needed stepping stones.  Don't want any ladies tripping in heels!
We had a great stone mason cut these leuter stones and make a safer pathway for guests:
Because of the wedding planning, I haven't had much time to do interior design.  I decided to only take on one large scale project and cut back our EDesign.
  In January, I  took on a recent project  consulting with a sweet family in Gruene, Texas.  They're building a gorgeous modern & classic farmhouse.  The architect is Kai Geschke, the talented  architect that designed the Patterson project. The style of the home is similar yet very different.
Here's some recent selections we picked out :
 




Master closet carpet options:



Wallpaper & paint for the Study:

Gorgeous wood flooring:



I also got caught up in building the website for our Colorado vacation rental home.  If you need a great mountain summer vacation, please check out our home.  It's booking fast for the summer, so don't hesitate :)  : Crossman Cabin



Anyways, that's a lil sneak into my last few months and where I've been.  Or you can always follow me on Instagram:  @jvwdesign
I usually snap a few updates here and there .  Easier than blog posting while you're in a time crunch!

Hope everyone is doing great and I always appreciate you following along on my designing journeys.

The wedding is happening in just a few weeks and I can't wait to share the pics once it's all over.  It's been a learning journey for me, in so many ways, and a sentimental journey.  


Would love to hear from you,  and any wedding advice you'd give?

xo,
post signature

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.